This page lists a variety of presentations, unpublished papers and other talks I delivered.
Unpublished conference papers
- Evaluasie van skoner vertaalgeheues. (Evaluation of cleaner translation memories) Student symposium of the Akademie. SAAWK, Pretoria.
- Re-evaluation of multilingual terminology. DEASA and NADEOSA Open learning conference. UNISA.
- The multiple roles of Wikipedia as transformative multilingual knowledge resource (with L Pretorius and N Nomdebevana). CLASA 2017 joint conference of the language associations of Southern Africa, Rhodes University, Grahamstown.
- Higher education institutions in SA and their presence on the web. National conference on multilingualism in higher education, UNISA.
- Machine translation at Unisa (with GJ Kotzé and L Dugast). National conference on multilingualism in higher education, UNISA.
- Building language resources from institutional content in Higher Education (with L Pretorius, GJ Kotzé and L Dugast). National conference on multilingualism in higher education, UNISA.
- Verbeurde geleenthede in vertaalgeheuepassing. Student symposium of the Akademie – 1st prize. UNISA.
- Social localisation for the rest of us. LRC conference, Limerick, Ireland.
- XLIFF from a volunteer’s point of view. XLIFF Symposium, Limerick, Ireland.
- Will Translators Use Your Dictionary? (with RD Bailey) Afrilex, UWC.
- Die kolomaftrekkingsmetode vir die handelsreisigerprobleem. (The column subtraction method for the traveling salesman problem) Student symposium of the Akademie – 2nd prize. Stellenbosch.
Other presentations and talks
- Optimising full-text queries in the amaGama translation memory server. (summary) Postgres Conference South Africa 2019. Johannesburg.
- The Academy of African Languages and Science: Strengthening languages at Unisa through research and development in language technology. Seminar of the Department of Applied Linguistics, UNISA.
- Rekenaars en veeltaligheid. (Computers and multilingualism) Speaker at 2017’s closing function of the SAAWK’s work group for Pretoria.
- Typing South African languages correctly. AALS workshop. UNISA.
- Fingerprinting. InfoSec Galois Liberation Mini Unconference. UNISA.
- Wikipedia for/by language practitioners. UNISA language services.
- Structuring unstructured terminology data. AALS symposium. UNISA
- Invited to the Centre for Next Generation Localisation at the University of Limerick (Ireland) as pat of their “Special Speakers” series.
- Panel member for “Minimal and modular XLIFF” – Moderator: Christian Lieske at the XLIFF symposium. Ireland.
- Software demonstration at the Afrilex conference. UWC.
- Invited speaker for the opening conference of AGIS (Action week for Global Information Sharing). Ireland.
- XML Translation. A talk about ODF and XLIFF at the Department of Science and Technology’s workshop XML in government. Pretoria.
- Numerous presentations at events of the Mozilla foundation about localisation software and processes for their products such as Firefox.
- Numerous appearances on radio and TV about software localisation work in South Africa and beyond.
- A series of interactive talks at work about Python. It is aimed at junior and senior Python programmers to improve their insight and skills in Python.